Sunday, August 12, 2007

Systems and More

This week was full of academics. From Monday to Thursday we learned all about the different systems in the T-37. The instruction included general aircraft knowledge, hydraulics, engines, electrical system, air conditioning...or lack thereof, egress, instrumentation, and malfunction identification. There was a mix of classroom instruction and computer based training. It's a little difficult doing all this training without actually touching the aircraft because there isn't anything to apply the knowledge to until you actually see it in action. Thursday afternoon we got to go out and actually look at one of the aircraft to put everything into perspective...sort of.

Friday was test day...at 6:00 am! I wasn't sure if my brain would function so early in the morning...especially since it is solar powered and the sun wasn't up yet. The test was 34 question, multiple-choice on the computer...very similar to the tests I took in my aircraft maintenance training. For those of you maintainers out there, it was about the same level of difficulty too...just a little more detail in regard to operating limitations. Turns out I had just enough brain power to pass the early morning test and move onto the next phase of training...the flight line!

We proceeded to our flight room following our test to complete our first few "P Missions." I'm not even sure what that means...but it was just more academics. Additionally, we watched about 2.5 hours of vintage (1980s) Air Force videos that discussed basic pre-flight inspection and other really exciting stuff...blah! After this training all of us got to go to the flight simulator to practice everything through takeoff. I've got most of the procedures down pretty well, but we'll see how the acutal application goes on Monday. The day finished off with yet another test. Our current uniform of the day is blues...until our entire flight can complete 3 consecutive ops limit/boldface tests with zero mistakes...I'm talking no missed dashes, commas, spelling, etc. It's quite a bit of knowledge but I think I got it all down correctly...should find out Monday. Unfortunately, a few people know they made mistakes...so a few more days before we get to wear flight suits permanently...oh well.

So, tomorrow (Monday) will be must first flight! This ride is refered to as our "Dollar Ride" where we basically get to demonstrate if we can start and taxi the aircraft, then the instructor pilot (IP) flies around to all the important visual reference points in the area. We're supposed to present the instructor with a decorated $1 bill commemorating the event...my IP is going to be disappointed with my artistic abilities. I am extremely excited to fly tomorrow...I think it will finally bring about the realization that I am at pilot training...as will the debrief where I'll be told how bad I suck...lol!

No comments: