Monday, March 3, 2008

Tweet Complete

Obviously, I am not very good at maintaining this blog every week...leaves me more to write I suppose...

Since my last post I completed my final two checkrides, Advanced Contact (aerobatics) and Formation. During the Advanced Contact phase it is expected that you master all different kinds of loops, rolls, and combinations of the two. Additionally, you must demonstrate all the different types of landings that we do to simulate emergency procedures. Leading up to my checkride I unfortunately had very poor continuity, meaning I flew with a different instructor for almost every flight. The negative thing about this is that the instructor doesn't get a chance to learn what problems you have and address them in future flights. For example, I had been using my rudder pedals improperly during 15 of my 16 flights, and finally on the last flight the IP figured out what I was doing wrong. Good that we figured it out...but no time left to practice. My checkride didn't go as well as I had hoped, but was a pass nonetheless.

The final section left for me to complete was formation. The first few flights were definitely an eye-opener because it was all new material and suddenly there was another jet to consider in all the maneuvering. The entire formation phase is 14 flights and a checkride, so obviously we aren't Thunderbird material once we're done, however a lot is expected after that short time. The first nine flights allowed me to develop the visual cues for what it's like to fly with 3-foot wingtip spacing at up to 90 degrees of bank (wings perpendicular to the ground). After that we incorporate maneuvers that are an introduction to aerial maneuvering, kinda like dogfighting, so that we can learn the different angles to use in 3-dimensional space. For the most part we are each matched up with another student so that we get to practice formation flying with them (in the other jet) and then we have our checkride at the same time. I was fortunate to be paired up with one of the more skilled flyers in the class, so it was my goal to do my best to not mess him up. We did pretty well throughout...until the day we'll call "Black Friday." We had 6 people in my class check on "Black Friday," and 5 of 6 failed with the other person getting an incomplete and failing the next day. This is pretty unheard of...especially because my Flight has had above average performance the entire program. Anyhow, I failed (busted) for something very out of the ordinary. After the entire formation profile we were returning to base for our formation landing when the "perfect storm" developed. Without going into too much detail a lot of pieces came together which led to me losing my situational awareness (SA) in the traffic pattern and I went 150 feet above the altitude I was supposed to be at. Frustrating to make it all the way through and then bust at the very end. Anyhow, my IPC (make-up checkride) was a single-ship pattern only sortie, which means I just had to takeoff and do several landings to prove I had good SA skills...very low-threat. I passed with flying colors...and am TWEET COMPLETE!!!

Before starting T-38s we are required to go through Centrifuge training. This is where they put us in a small capsule attached to an arm that spins in a circle to simulate pulling Gs. The purpose of this is to make sure you don't pass out while pulling Gs in the jet. It is about 10 minutes of pain. The analogy we came up with is that it's like losing the race in a prison shower, because when you're done you're exhausted and your ass hurts. To combat Gs you have to tighten all your lower body muscles so the blood doesn't pool in your feet, and breathe in a specific way so that the air isn't forced our of your lungs. Here is a link to what it looks like...Centrifuge. Fortunately we all did well and didn't pass out and do the "funky chicken" like a few of the folks in the video...

This week I'll start 3 weeks of academics for the T-38C. It's like starting all over again. The good thing is that now it is easier to know what to focus on when studying...the bad thing is there is about 2x as much material, if not more. I'm really looking forward to flying the T-38 because it actually looks like a fighter and the IP sits in the back of the jet instead of right next to you...oh yea, and we go twice as fast as the Tweet. Less than 5 months until assignment night...unbelievable!

Gavin turns 1 in a little less than 2 weeks! He's an amazing little guy. Andrea does a good job reading to him and keeping him active during the day. You should see how strong his little legs are...I'm sure he'll be walking in no time!

1 comment:

Art Express said...

The centrifuge video looks intense. You did it!